Surface Laptop 3 Now Supports More 3:2 Aspect Ratio Resolutions
In this article, we will show you what are the new 3:2 aspect ratio resolutions that added to Surface Laptop 3 and how to set them up.
It’s nice to have a high pixel density on the Surface Laptop 3 display that offers a better viewing experience when browsing the web, watching movies, and working with office tasks. However, there are some situations that you might need to lower the screen resolution like playing games, connecting multiple monitors with different pixel densities, or improving performance and battery life.
We previously posted a guide on how to set custom resolutions on Microsoft Surface since Microsoft didn’t offer any 3:2 display ratio resolutions other than the native resolution of the display. However, with recent Windows and Surface updates, my Surface Laptop 3 now has more 3:2 display ratio resolutions I can set without any tools or tweaks.
What are the new 3:2 Resolutions on Surface Laptop 3?
From what I tested, here are the resolutions that properly designed to fully cover the Surface Laptop 3 display:
- 2256 x 1504 (Native Resolution)Ideally for watching movies, browsing the web, and graphics design.
- 1692 x 1128Ideally for more screen real estate and multitasking with 100% display scaling.
- 1620 x 1080 (1080p)Ideally for pairing with 1080p external monitor.
- 1128 x 752Ideally for maximizing gaming performance with a minimum screen resolution while taking advantage of the full 3:2 aspect ratio display.
All the above resolutions have the same 1.5 results when you divide the number of horizontal pixels by the number of vertical pixels. They are perfectly cover your Surface Laptop 3 display without letterboxing.
How to Set a New 3:2 Resolution on Surface Laptop 3?
To change screen resolution on your Surface Laptop 3 to a new 3:2 resolutions:
- Open Windows Settings
First, you need to access Windows Settings by going to Start and click the Gear icon (or by using Win + I shortcut key).
- Go to System
In Windows Settings, select “System“.
- Go to Display > Display Resolution
Under the “Display resolution”, select the drop-down menu to select a new resolution.
- Select one of the resolutions we listed above
- Click the Keep changes button
Click the “Keep changes” button if you like the selected resolution or click the “Revert” to return back to the previous resolution.
That’s what I found on my Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and it’s not mentioned in Surface Laptop 3 Update history. So if you have other Surface models that have multiple 3:2 resolutions as I mentioned in this article, please let me know in the comments section below.
More Surface Laptop 3 Tips and Tricks
Here are all related Surface Laptop 3 tips & tricks you should know:
- How To Boot Surface Laptop From A USB Drive
- How to Claim Surface Exclusive Offers on Microsoft Surface
- How to Configure Surface Laptop 3 UEFI/BIOS Settings
- How to download and install the latest Surface Laptop 3 drivers and firmware updates
- How to download the official Surface Laptop 3 recovery image
- Ultimate Tips and Tricks for Mastering Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
Surface Laptop 3 Common Questions
Here are all frequently asked questions about Surface Laptop 3:
- Can you add RAM to Surface Laptop 3?
- Can you charge Surface Laptop 3 via USB-C?
- Can you upgrade Surface Laptop 3 SSD?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 have Ethernet port?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 have HDMI port?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 have SD Card Slot?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 have Thunderbolt 3 port?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 have USB-A port?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 support External GPU (eGPU)?
- Does Surface Laptop 3 support WiFi 6?
- Does the Surface Laptop 3 have Face ID?
- Does the Surface Laptop 3 have headphone jack?
- Does the Surface Laptop 3 have USB-C port?
- How to charge Surface Laptop 3 via USB-C?
- How to disable secure boot on Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
- How to fix brightness issue on Surface Laptop 3?
- How to properly shut down a Surface Laptop 3?
- Is Surface Laptop 3 fanless?
- Is Surface Laptop 3 keyboard backlit?
- Surface Laptop 3 USB-C Charging: We tested all chargers we have
- What’s is the battery capacity of Surface Laptop 3?
- What’s ports on Surface Laptop 3?
- What’s processors on Surface Laptop 3?
- What’s new in Surface Laptop 3?