As in previous generations, most Surface devices are normally having bugs when it comes to initial releases. However, most bugs can be fixed via firmware updates when Microsoft gathers enough feedback.
One of the most commonly reported problems for Surface Laptop 3 is the screen being turned off when the screen brightness is set to the lowest value (0% or 1%). Here is a post on the Microsoft Community forum on this problem.
The laptop works fine when the brightness is at any level except the lowest setting. When it’s set to low, it’ll work for a minute or two, and then the screen turns black. It doesn’t go to sleep because I can still hear videos playing in the background and I can pause/resume them using the spacebar, but the screen is completely black. To bring it back, I have to hit the power key to put it to sleep, and then again to wake it back up.
This is especially annoying because I mainly use the laptop when in bed at night, so I always have it on the lowest brightness.
All software is up to date. Any recommendations?
How to fix the display being turned off when the screen brightness is set to the lowest value on Surface Laptop 3?
Currently, there are a few workarounds to fix this issue:
Solution 1: Manually set brightness value to 2 (instead of 0)
Instead of setting the brightness to the lowest with media keys (F6 or F7), use the brightness slider in the notification by setting to 2 if you want a minimum brightness.
Solution 2: Disable Display Power Savings
Uses Intel Graphics Command Center to disable display power savings which also turns off the adaptive contrast on Surface Laptop 3. To do so:
- Download Intel Graphics Command Center from Microsoft Store.
- Go to the System section and turn off the Display Power Savings option.
Here are some related questions you might want to know:
More on Surface Laptop 3
Here are some related articles you might want to check out:
- Best Surface Laptop 1-5 Cases and Sleeves in 2023
- How to Enable Battery Limit Feature on Microsoft Surface
- How to Properly Shut Down a Surface Laptop
- How to Download Surface Laptop 3 and Laptop 4 Service Manual
- How to Claim Surface Exclusive Offers on Microsoft Surface
- Surface Laptop 3 Now Supports More 3:2 Aspect Ratio Resolutions