Microsoft has offered a standard warranty for all your Surface devices, including PC and Surface-branded accessories. Most Surface devices will come with a one-year limited hardware warranty and 90-days of technical support. And here what’s the limited warranty means (according to Microsoft):
The standard warranty covers hardware defects only and does not provide any coverage for accidental damage. Technical support provides help and technical assistance for preinstalled software for the first 90 days after purchase.
If you want additional coverage, including accidental damage coverage, you can purchase Microsoft Complete when you purchase your device or within 45 days of purchase. Microsoft Complete extends the standard warranty and includes accidental damage protection. Microsoft Complete also extends technical support for preinstalled software to the full duration of the extended warranty. For more information, see Microsoft Complete.
If you’re not sure if your Surface device is under warranty or not, Microsoft offers several methods for you to get that information. Among those, I want to show you a new quick, easy way to check the warranty status of your Surface device by using a Surface app, the Surface support for the business portal, and the Surface diagnostic toolkit.
Table of contents
- Checking via Surface App
- Surface Warranty Lookup via Surface Support for Business Portal
- Microsoft Warranty Check via Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
In early 2019, Microsoft updated the Surface app to include a new feature that allows you to check Surface’s warranty status right from within the app without taking the time to sign in to your Microsoft account and register your device. The company, by default, has preinstalled the Surface app on all Surface PCs from the factory and the recovery image. However, if you can’t find the app on your computer, the following guide will help you.
How to download the Surface app from Microsoft Store
The Surface app is available for download via Microsoft Store. To download:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Click the Search button next to your profile photo, type Surface, and hit the Enter key.
- Now scroll to the Apps section and look for an app called Surface. Click on it to open.
- Click Get to start downloading and installing the app to your Surface.
- When it finishes installing the app, you can find it from the Start menu.
You can also directly link to the Surface app from here:
How to check your Surface’s warranty status in the Surface app
To check your current Surface Book, Surface Laptop, Surface Go, and Surface Pro warranty status in the Surface app is easy. To do so:
On the newly redesigned Surface app.
- Open the Surface app.
- Under the available menu, click the arrow down icon next to Warranty & services to expand the section.
- Now, you will see your Surface’s warranty duration, status, and expiration date.
If you still have an older Surface app installed on your Surface.
- Open the Surface app.
- Click the hamburger menu and go to the Your Surface section.
- On the right page, you will see your Surface’s warranty duration and the expiration date.
Microsoft has an exclusive portal for businesses that allows the system administrator quickly check the warranty status for a Surface device without having to register or login into each computer. Fortunately, everyone can access the portal without an account required.
To lookup your Surface Pro, Surface Go, Surface Laptop, Surface Book, and other Surface warranty status via the portal:
- Go to https://mybusinessservice.surface.com/en-US/CheckWarranty/CheckWarranty
- Choose the country or region where you purchased your Surface.
- Enter your Surface’s Serial Number.
- Enter the letter you see in the CAPTCHA image.
- Click Submit.
- It will show you the model of your Surface device with some basic specifications and warranty status.
Surface Diagnostic Toolkit is an exclusive tool to guide you through a set of software repairs and hardware diagnostics to quickly and efficiently uncover and resolve issues you are experiencing on your supported Surface devices.
How to Get Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
The Surface Diagnostic Toolkit is a free tool from Microsoft hosted on Microsoft Store. To get it:
- Download Surface Diagnostic Toolkit from Microsoft Store here.
- Or go to Microsoft Store.
- In the Search box, type Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.
- Click “Free” or “Install” to install the app on your device.
How to Check Your Surface Warranty Registration and Expiry Date
To check your Surface Go, Surface Pro, Surface Laptop, Surface Book, Surface Studio, and other Surface PC warranty status:
- Launch the “Surface Diagnostic Toolkit“.
- Under the hamburger menu, select the “Surface warranty“.
- You will see the Surface warranty information, including the hardware registration date and warranty expiration date.
Now you have your Surface warranty information on hand. If your Surface is under warranty, you can start an online service order by going to the Device Center page or your local Microsoft Store for an in-store check. If you have any questions or problems with the procedures detailed in this tutorial, please leave a comment below.