The new firmware update enhances Surface RT speaker volume and improves system stability and enables interaction with the Trackpad Settings app for Japanese customers. The update is listed as a “May 2013 update” on the Surface RT Update History page.
Changelog for May 2013 Updates
Below is the complete changelog provided by Microsoft for the new updates.
- UEFI firmware update – enhances Surface RT speaker volume and improves system stability.
- Driver pack – improves performance and works with the updated UEFI firmware to enhance Surface RT speaker volume.
- Trackpad Settings driver for Surface Type Cover – enables interaction with the Trackpad Settings app for Japanese customers.
Getting the Updates via Windows Update
You can get this new Firmware Update via Windows Updates, as we detailed here:
- Swipe from the right or move the mouse cursor to the right edge of the display and select Settings.
- Select the Change PC Settings.
- Go to the Update and recovery tab. On the Windows Update page, click the Check now button.
Surface RT Update History
- Improve the experience of using a second-generation Touch and Type Surface Cover on your Surface RT running Windows RT 8.1, including touchpad performance and overall product stability.View
- Increase battery life, enhance the Windows RT 8.1 update experience, and enhance the use of Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.View
- Enhance stability, reliability, and the audio experience at low volumes and remove a perceived pulsing in audio volume for some content.View
- Improve the reliability of the devices waking up immediately on the first button press and improve Surface Touch and Type Cover Functionality.View
- Enhance Surface RT speaker volume, improve system stability, and enable interaction with the Trackpad Settings app for Japanese customers.
- Resolve certain “Limited” connectivity issues, improve Wi-Fi to handle a wide range of access points, and more.View
- Improve Wi-Fi connectivity, fix volume buttons and muting issues, improve the Touch and Type Cover, and improve the performance of the trackpad.View
- Enhance the capability for handling firmware updates and resolving specific audio playback issues.View