Surface Go USB Charging: Can I charge Surface Go with a USB charger?
In this article, we will show you our testing about Surface Go charging speed using a simple USB charger over USB-A to USB-C cable.
In our previous article, we’ve benchmarked the Surface Go charging speed using the original charger, which uses the Surface Connect port. But Surface Go has another option that allows you to charge via USB-C port. Generally, charging over USB-C on a modern portable computer required a charger and cable that supports USB Power Delivery or USB-PD technology to deliver more power throughput for fast charging.
However, in a situation that you don’t have a USB-PD charger or you didn’t take it while on the go, can you use a standard USB charger to charge your Surface Go instead? In this article, we will benchmark the Surface Go charging speed using a standard USB charger.
- Standard USB Charger Specification
- Standard USB Charging Speed on Surface Go
- Experiment Condition
- Recommended Chargers for Surface Go
Standard USB Charger Specification
In this test, we chose the original charger for the Sony Xperia XA which is included in the phone box. It’s a simple charger with only 1500mA power output and has no Quick Charge or Power Delivery support at all.
|Charger||Sony Standard USB Charger|
|Output||7.5W ([email protected])|
|Interface||Full Size USB-A to USB-C|
Standard USB Charging Speed on Surface Go
What we can see from the testing, the charger can charge Surface Go not only while it’s off but also in use. But it takes quite a long time (about 6 hours) to charge Surface Go from 20% to 100% in our test scenario.
The following table summarizes the speed, duration, and charging rate of the charger.
|Battery Capacity (%)||Average Charging Rate (W)||Duration (Minutes)|
|20% - 80%||3.68 W||265 Minutes|
|80% - 90%||3.50 W||47 Minutes|
|90% - 95%||3.42 W||23 Minutes|
|95% - 100%||3.18 W||25 Minutes|
|20% - 100%||3.68 W - 3.18 W||6 Hours or 360 Minutes|
And below is a graph detailing the charging behavior using standard USB charger over USB-A to USB-C port:
For a quick comparison, below is the graph of Surface Go charging speed using the original charger over Surface Connect port.
Don’t forget to check our comparison between three USB-C PD chargers here:
Of course, the actual charging speed depends on your device’s settings and usage. It will be much faster to charge your device when it’s off, and it will be slow as you play games or use any heavy software.
Below is a condition that we used and think most people would use in the general situation:
- Turn off the display: Never (Always-on display)
- Display brightness: 50%
- Auto brightness: No
- Bluetooth: On
- WiFi: On (connected to the internet)
The tool we used to record the battery capacity, speed and duration of the charging is BatteryInfoView. Beside that, this tool also has the ability to display more detail information of your device’s battery.
We also use our favorite tool BatteryBar to view real-time charging stats right from the taskbar. You can download both tools for free from the links below:
Recommended Chargers for Surface Go
Since Surface Go is compatible with both the Surface Connect and the USB-C charging interface, you have many options when you want additional chargers to be used while on the go, at home, or at the office.
More powerful chargers for Surface Go
The following Surface Connect chargers are more powerful than the 24W original Surface Go charger. If you want a better charging speed, it's a good choice for you.
1. Microsoft Surface 65W Power Supply
USB-C chargers with Power Delivery for Surface Go
The chargers here are relatively small in size, easy to carry around, and powerful enough to fast charge your Surface Go. Especially, since they're using USB-C interface, you can charge all your USB-C devices without carrying additional chargers.
1. Anker USB C Charger 30W with Power Delivery, PowerPort Speed PD 30 for MacBook Pro/Air (2018), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone XS/XS Max/XR/X/8/Plus, Nexus, LG G5, Pixel, MateBook, and More.
2. iClever 45W USB Type-C Wall Charger with Power Delivery Adapter for Nintendo Switch, Samsung Note 8, Pixel C, Nexus 5X/6P, Apple MacBook 2015/2016 and More[Contains a 6.6ft USB C to C Cable]
3. ZMI 45W USB-C Wall Charger
Portable power bank with Power Delivery for Surface Go
Chargers required the electrical outlet, but it isn't always easy to find one. So, if you are a student or a person that need to stay in class or attend a long hours meeting, you should pick a portable power bank.
1. ZMI PowerPack 20K Pro USB PD Backup Battery & Hub
2. Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 Pd, 20100mAh Portable Charger & 30W Power Delivery Charger Bundle, Input & Output Type C Power Bank for MacBook Air/Ipad Pro 2018, iPhone 11/ Pro/X, Macbooks, S10
More Surface Go Resources
Make sure to check out our tips and tricks for Microsoft Surface Go here:
- Surface Go USB-C PD chargers comparison
- Here’s how fast you can charge Surface Go with the original charger
- Surface Go vs. Surface 3 detailed specs comparison
- Surface Go Type Cover vs. Surface 3 Type Cover
- How to manage Surface Go sound effects via Realtek Audio Console app
- How to download the official Surface Go recovery image
- How to configure Surface Go UEFI/BIOS settings