Surface Go Tip: Here’s how fast you can charge Surface Go with the original charger
In this article, we will record and analyze the charging behavior of the original Surface Go charger. You will see how fast can it charge and when is the best time to charge your device.
Microsoft Surface Go is a great portable laptop which allows you to perform all kinds of tasks while on the go. Microsoft claims that the Surface Go can last up to 9 hours on a single charge, however, it may be less depending on the type of work.
For portability, the charger that comes with Surface Go is also small and lightweight. However, is it powerful enough to charge the Surface Go? To learn more about the charging power of the charger, we will record and analyze the charging speed of the device.
- Original Surface Go Charger Specification
- Original Surface Go Charger’s Performance
- Experiment Condition
- Recommended Chargers for Surface Go
Original Surface Go Charger Specification
The Surface Go charger uses the proprietary Surface Connect port that magnetically attaches to the device. It also has an LED indicator when it is connected and charged. Below are the specifications of the charger:
|Charger||Surface Go Charger Model 1736|
|Output||24W ([email protected])|
Original Surface Go Charger’s Performance
Generally, charging speeds vary depending on the amount of battery’s capacity left on the device. For the Surface Go is the same: charging is constant and fast when the battery is less than 80%. And the speed will continue to fall steadily until the battery is full.
The following table summarizes the speed, duration, and charging rate of the Surface Go using its original charger.
Note The following results are measured using a certain condition which is specified in the Experiment Condition section of this article.
|Battery Capacity (%)||Charging Rate (W)||Duration (Minutes)|
|20% - 80%||15.50 W||60 Minutes|
|80% - 90%||13W - 8.0W||15 Minutes|
|90% - 95%||8.0W - 4.5W||15 Minutes|
|95% - 100%||4.5W - 2.0W||25 Minutes|
And below is a graphic detailing the charging behavior:
Of course, the actual charging speed depends on your device’s settings and usage. It will be much faster to charge your device when it’s off, and it will be slow as you play games or use any heavy software.
Below is a condition that we used and think most people would use in the general situation:
- Turn off the display: Never (Always-on display)
- Display brightness: 50%
- Auto brightness: No
- Bluetooth: On
- WiFi: On (connected to the internet)
The tool we used to record the battery capacity, speed and duration of the charging is BatteryInfoView. Beside that, this tool also has the ability to display more detail information about your device’s battery.
We also use our favorite tool BatteryBar to view real-time charging stats right from the taskbar. You can download both tools for free from the links below:
Recommended Chargers for Surface Go
Since Surface Go is compatible with both the Surface Connect and the USB-C charging interface, you have many options when you want additional chargers to be used while on the go, at home, or at the office.
More powerful chargers for Surface Go
The following Surface Connect chargers are more powerful than the 24W original Surface Go charger. If you want a better charging speed, it's a good choice for you.
1. Microsoft Surface 65W Power Supply
USB-C chargers with Power Delivery for Surface Go
The chargers here are relatively small in size, easy to carry around, and powerful enough to fast charge your Surface Go. Especially, since they're using USB-C interface, you can charge all your USB-C devices without carrying additional chargers.
1. Anker USB C Charger 30W with Power Delivery, PowerPort Speed PD 30 for MacBook Pro/Air (2018), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone XS/XS Max/XR/X/8/Plus, Nexus, LG G5, Pixel, MateBook, and More.
2. ZMI 45W USB-C Wall Charger
Portable power bank with Power Delivery for Surface Go
Chargers required the electrical outlet, but it isn't always easy to find one. So, if you are a student or a person that need to stay in class or attend a long hours meeting, you should pick a portable power bank.
1. ZMI PowerPack 20K Pro USB PD Backup Battery & Hub
2. Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 Pd, 20100mAh Portable Charger & 30W Power Delivery Charger Bundle, Input & Output Type C Power Bank for MacBook Air/Ipad Pro 2018, iPhone 11/ Pro/X, Macbooks, S10
More Surface Go Resources
Make sure to check out our tips and tricks for Microsoft Surface Go here:
- Can you charge Surface Go with a standard USB charger?
- Surface Go USB-C Charging: We tested 3 USB-C PD chargers for comparison
- Surface Go vs. Surface 3 detailed specs comparison
- Surface Go Type Cover vs. Surface 3 Type Cover
- How to manage Surface Go sound effects via Realtek Audio Console app
- How to download the official Surface Go recovery image
- How to configure Surface Go UEFI/BIOS settings