How to Check Surface Battery Health with Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
Want a nice short summary report about your Surface's battery health, the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit from Microsoft lets you do it in simple steps.
Surface Diagnostic Toolkit is an exclusive tool to guides you through a set of software repairs and hardware diagnostics to quickly and efficiently uncover and resolve issues you are experiencing on your supported Surface devices. On top of that, it also lets you look up information about your device, repair common software issues, and validate your Surface hardware.
Today we will show you how to use the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit (SDT) to check your Surface’s battery health information including your Surface power state, battery wear, designed capacity, current capacity, battery cycles, current charge, battery capacity readings history for individual battery in one quick summary report.
Welcome to Quick Tips, a series where we cover every little thing about Microsoft Surface and Its Accessories-related topics with an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide.
How to Get Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
The Surface Diagnostic Toolkit is a free tool from Microsoft hosted on Microsoft Store. To get it:
- Download Surface Diagnostic Toolkit from Microsoft Store here.
- Or go to Microsoft Store.
- In the Search box, type “Surface Diagnostic Toolkit“.
- Click “Free” or “Install” to install the app on your device.
How to Check Surface Battery Health
When the app is installed. To check your Surface battery health information:
- Launch the “Surface Diagnostic Toolkit“.
- Under the hamburger menu, select “Battery Information“.
- Now your Surface battery information will be shown as below.
According to Microsoft, when a battery has been charged and then discharged, it counts as one cycle.
Examples: If the battery runs down to 60% and then it’s charged to 80%, it doesn’t count as a cycle. if the battery runs down below 10% and then it’s charged to more than 90%, it counts as a cycle.
More on Surface Tips & Tricks
For more helpful tips about Microsoft Surface, visit the following resources:
- How to check your Surface warranty status – the quick and easy way
- How to download the latest Windows 10 ISO file
- How to connect a Surface Arc Mouse to your Computer
- Microsoft Surface battery capacity – a complete list
- Download Microsoft Surface Drivers and Firmware
- How to connect the Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse to your Computer
- How to access the Surface’s battery report
- Microsoft Surface display size and resolution – a complete list
- How to enable Hibernation support on Microsoft Surface
- How to Check Battery Manufacturer on Your Surface Device