Microsoft Surface Mobile Mouse is a great portable mouse that is stylish, ultra-thin, affordable, and conforms to either of your hand. It features three rich tone-on-tone colors including Burgundy, Platinum, and Cobalt Blue. The scrolling is also perfected with the new optimized metallic wheel for more precision and comfort.
One of the key features of Surface Mobile Mouse is the ability to let you configure almost every aspect of its commands. That includes the button remapping that allows both left-handed and right-handed users can use this mouse with ease. However, to configure such options, you will need to have the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center installed on your PC. And, today we will walk you through how to configure and remap the left-click, right-click, wheel button click, scrolling behavior, and DPI settings on Surface Mobile Mouse.
Table of contents
- How to configure Surface Mobile Mouse with Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center
- How to remap the left button on Surface Mobile Mouse
- How to remap the right button on Surface Mobile Mouse
- How to configure scroll behavior on Surface Mobile Mouse
- How to configure “Wheel button click” on Surface Mobile Mouse
- How to configure DPI settings on Surface Mobile Mouse
- How to restore default settings on Surface Mobile Mouse
To configure Surface Mobile Mouse, make sure you’ve done the following requirements.
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center on your computer. Check out here how to download and install the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.
- Make sure you have successfully connected Surface Mobile Mouse to your computer. Check out here how to connect a Surface Mobile Mouse to your computer.
- Now you can proceed to open the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center from the start menu. If everything goes well, you will see the Surface Mobile Mouse configurations interface below:
Now you’re are good to go. Read on to see what you can do with your Surface Mobile Mouse.
One of the basic and important features is the ability to swap between the left and right clicks. And you can do that with Surface Mobile Mouse. To remap the left button click action on Surface Mobile Mouse:
- On the main configuration page, select the Left button.
- You’ll be directed to the Left button configuration page with the following options.
On the “Left button” settings page, you can remap the left button and click into:
- Click (default) – keep the default click action.
- Right-click – change it into a right-click action for those who are left-handed people.
For the same reason, you can also swap the right-click into the left-click on Surface Mobile Mouse. To remap the right button click action on Surface Mobile Mouse:
- On the main configuration page, select the Right button.
- You’ll be directed to the Right button configuration page with the following options.
On the “Right button” settings page, you can remap the right button and click into:
- Right-click (default) – keep the default right-click action.
- Click – change it into a left-click action for those who are left-handed people.
You can also customize the scrolling behavior of the Surface Mobile Mouse as well in the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. To do so:
- On the configuration page, select Wheel.
- You’ll be directed to the Wheel settings configuration page with the following options.
In this configuration page you can turn on/off and set a specific value for the following scrolling behaviors:
- Vertical Scrolling – Enable/disable the vertical scrolling (two fingers swipe up/down). You can also set a scrolling speed as well.
- Accelerated Vertical Scrolling – Accelerated scrolling lets you cover more distance in a document when you scroll quickly. This is useful if you frequently scroll through long documents or Web pages.
- Flip Scrolling Direction – Reverse the direction of vertical scrolling.
In Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, you can also assign a specific action for the wheel button on your Surface Mobile Mouse. To assign an action to the wheel button click on Surface Mobile Mouse:
- On the configuration page, select the Wheel button.
- You’ll be directed to the Wheel button configuration page with the following options.
There are 6 different types of actions you can assign for the “wheel button click” on the Surface Mobile Mouse:
- Option 1: Middle-click (default) – Use the default middle-click action (aka. scroll wheel click).
- Option 2: Key Combination – It will allow you to manually specify a key combination interface as below:
- Option 3: Macro: Macros are sequences of events (such as keystrokes, mouse clicks, and time delays) that can be used to help with repetitive tasks and sequences that are long or difficult to do manually. After you create a macro, you can assign it to a key or a mouse button so that you can run it easily. For more information: See Creating macros.
- Option 4: View all commands: it will allow you to map the wheel button click into one of the following commands:
- Option 5: Disable this button.
Here are all preset commands that are available for assigning.
- Windows commands
- Task View
- Add new desktop
- Previous Desktop
- Next Desktop
- Close Desktop
- Snap Windows Left
- Snap Windows Right
- Snap Windows Up
- Snap Windows Down
- Open Action Center
- Open Cortana
- Show/Hide App Commands
- Go to Windows Start
- Exit Program
- Show/Hide Desktop
- Next Window
- Previous Window
- Browser Commands
- Browser Back
- Browser Forward
- Content Commands
- Copy (Ctrl+C)
- Cut (Ctrl+X)
- Paste (Ctrl+V)
- Undo (Ctrl+Z)
- Redo (Ctrl+Y)
- Page Up
- Page Down
- Print Screen
- Document commands
- Key commands
You can also specify a specific DPIs (dots per linear inch) value for Surface Mobile Mouse to adapt to your specific preference and environment. To do so:
- On the main configuration page, select DPI Settings.
- You’ll be directed to the DPI Settings configuration page with the following options.
On this configuration page, you can indicate a value ranging from 400 to 1800. The setting will take effect immediately, so you can know which value will work well for you.
Have you messed up the settings and want to return all the settings to their default values? there is an option for that. To do so:
- After you have made any changes from the default settings, the main configuration will show up a new option called Restore Defaults which allows you to return all the settings you’ve made changes to their original value. Select the Restore Defaults.
- It will show up another two buttons, click Restore to restore all the default settings.
Now you’ve known all the possibilities of the Surface Mobile Mouse, and if you have any questions or problems with the procedures detailed in this tutorial, please leave a comment below.
Our top picks for Surface Mobile Mouse
Here are some of our favorite accessories for Microsoft Surface Mobile Mouse you might want to check out:
The Surface Mobile Mouse is a perfect companion mouse for every Surface user who wants an affordable and ultra-slim mouse for their mobile computing. It offers the latest technologies from Microsoft including a new metallic scroll wheel and Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard center capability for advanced configurations.
If you’re tired of buying new replacement batteries for your accessories, you might want to pick up this rechargeable battery charger from Energizer. It can charge both AA and AAA batteries up to four batteries at the same time. With its neat indicator system, it can visually and audibly let you know about the battery charging status.
When you choose to use rechargeable batteries, you’d better look for high-capacity ones with a long lifespan. This rechargeable AAA battery from EBL has a high capacity of 1,000 mAh up to 1,100 mAh and can be recharged up to 1200 times. It also has a low self-discharge that it still maintains 80% of capacity after 3 years of unused.
More Surface Mobile Mouse Tips & Tricks
Here is all related Surface Mobile Mouse tips & tricks topic you might want to know:
How to replace Microsoft Surface Mobile Mouse Batteries
Don't know how to install or replace the batteries on the Surface Mobile Mouse? Check out here to see how to do that with easy to follow instructions.
How to connect a Surface Mobile Mouse to your computer
Having a new Surface Mobile Mouse and getting stuck on how to connect it your Surface or computer? Here we have an easy and detail guide on how to do that.
Microsoft Surface Mobile Mouse Specs – Full Technical Specifications
The perfect companion for Microsoft Surface Go. It is light and portable. The metal scroll wheel feels solid under your finger and available in 3 rich colors.