How to fix Surface RT/2 or Surface Pro/2 phantom touch or ghost touch
Do you experience phantom touches problems on your Surface RT/2 or Surface Pro/2? If your Surface's screen registers touch input by itself, here there is a possible solution might fix your problem.
Today, I want to share a problem with a touch screen issue that I found on my Surface RT. Most of the time, I don’t use my Surface RT as I use my Surface Pro 4 for most of my work. So I have installed many kid’s apps and games and gave it to my kid to play with.
Recently I found that my Surface randomly registers touch input by itself (phantom touches). Here are all related issues that I found:
- It often gets touch input by itself (at the left side of the screen).
- After about 5 minutes with the screen on, it will not accept anymore touch input. I need to turn the screen off and on again to get it works.
- It happened more often when it was on charging.
- Most of the times, my device doesn’t charge properly, I have to reconnect the charging connector many times. Sometimes it gets charging without LED light indicator as well.
Here all solutions I have tried and doesn’t fix my problem:
- Tried to clean the screen many times to make sure there is no dust or wet.
- Restart my Surface.
- Install all latest updates.
- Reset my Surface.
How to fix phantom touches on Surface?
Here what I have figured out the root cause of the problem. As I noticed that the touch screen problems occurs more often while the device is charging, I think the charging port should be the root cause. And here is what I did to resolve the touchscreen problems:
- Unplug charging cable
- Use a soft wet cloth to clean dirt and dust inside the charging port.
- Use another soft dried cloth to remove the wet. Make sure it is clean.
After I’ve done above steps, there are no more touchscreen issues anymore. One more thing that I also noticed is that my device gets better charging experience, just plug the charging cable and it gets charge immediately. Finally, I hope this guide will fix your problems as well. Please let me know in the comments section below, whether above solution can fix your problems or not.