Microsoft rolled out July 2014 firmware updates for the original Surface Pro
Microsoft is now rolling out new updates to Surface Pro devices to improve battery life, and experience when using the Surface Power Cover and accessories, and the Miracast wireless display.
The new firmware update improves battery life, and experience when using the Surface Power Cover and accessories, and the Miracast wireless display. The update is listed as an “August 2014 update” on the Surface Pro Update History page.
- Changelog for July 08, 2014 Updates
- Getting the Updates via Windows Update
- Downloading the Updates from Microsoft
Changelog for July 08, 2014 Updates
Below is the complete changelog provided by Microsoft for the new updates.
- System Firmware Update – 7/8/2014
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.84.0350) improves battery management when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v1.6.350) provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (v10.18.10.3496) improves the Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) enhances compatibility and improves the display experience for DisplayPort monitors.
- Surface Accessory Device (v1.0.338.0) improves the experience when using Surface accessories.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware update (v1.0.339.0) improves the experience when using Surface Power Cover.
Getting the Updates via Windows Update
You can get this new Firmware Update via Windows Updates, as we detailed here:
On Windows 10:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & security.
- From the Windows Update tab, click Check for updates
If your Surface Pro didn’t receive the update, it should appear on the Windows Update list by now.
Downloading the Updates from Microsoft
Alternatively, you can download the latest cumulative driver and firmware update for Surface Pro (1st Gen) from Microsoft Download Center via the following links.
- Surface Pro Drivers and Firmware
Surface Pro Update History
- Eliminate instances where the device wakes randomly and improve system stability when detaching the cover.View
- Improve graphics performance and stability on Windows 10 and resolve issues where the Surface Pro would wake from sleep by itselfView
- Improve network connection stability and enable functionality on Wi-Fi networks using a hidden SSID.View
- Improve battery life, and experience when using the Surface Power Cover and accessories, and the Miracast wireless display.
- Provide support for the Surface Power Cover, improve multiple-finger support on the touchpad, and improve wireless connectivity and Miracast supportView
- Resolve issues when using a Surface Cover and prevent On-Screen Keyboard from unexpectedly popping up even though the Surface Cover is attached.View
- Improve the experience of using a Surface Cover 2 on the original Surface Pro and enhance Miracast functionality and improve Wi-Fi stability.View
- Improve wireless display performance and Wi-Fi network performance and stability and increase the camera's TrueColor fidelity.View
- Migrate drivers from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1, improved Wi-Fi, and enhanced performance for Type Cover 2 and Surface Touch Cover 2.View
- Enhance system stability and reliability, reduce power consumption, and enhance the touch experience with the touchpad on the Surface Type Cover and Surface Touch CoverView
- Enhance clarity for low-light operation and improves reliability when switching between the integrated camera and an external camera.View
- Resolve an issue with on-screen touch navigation in the UEFI boot menu, Surface Type Cover and Touch cover connectivity issues, and more.View