How to enable Hibernation support on Microsoft Surface
In this tutorial, you will see how to enable hibernation support on your Surface devices. You will be able to put your Surface into hibernation right from the power menu.
Hibernation support is disabled by default on every Surface devices since Microsoft introduced new modern standby feature on them. The modern standby allows your surface benefits from instant on/off, background activity while the system is off, and simplified wake story feature.
Even modern standby allows you to resume your work instantly but it does drain a bit of your battery juice. If you plan not resume your anytime soon, you should hibernate your Surface to completely stop the battery drain. In this article, I will guide you how you can hibernate your Surface right from the power menu in the start menu.
Note The following instruction is only applicable for Surface PCs that operate with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Home or Pro. Windows 8.1 RT does not support hibernation.
- Applicable for: Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro (2017), Surface Book, Surface Laptop, and Surface Studio.
- Not Applicable for: Surface RT and Surface 2.
- How to check Hibernate option in System Power Settings
- Turning on Hibernation Support via Command Line or PowerShell
Here is how you can check whether hibernation is turned on or off on your Surface.
- Right click on battery icon in the system tray
- Click Power Options
- Click Choose what the power buttons do
- You will see that there are no Hibernate option under the Shutdown settings
To turn on hibernation support on your Surface.
- Right click on Start icon
- Click on Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- In the Windows PowerShell, type powercfg /h on, press Enter
- Now when you go back to Power Options > System Settings, you will see that Hibernate is available in Shutdown settings.
- Now you can hibernate your Surface right from power menu in the start menu.
Best Accessories for Microsoft Surface
With the right set of accessories, you can boost your Surface's productivity to the next level. Here we have some of the best accessories you should get for your Surface devices.
Those are the top must-have accessories for Microsoft Surface devices so far. With Surface Pen, Surface Dock, Surface Precision Mouse, and microSD card will significantly increase your Surface performance, storage, and productivity.