Surface Laptop 2 Tip: How to screenshot on Surface Laptop 2
In this tutorial, we will show you the 5 different ways to take a screenshot on Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 by using the keyboard, Surface Pen, and built-in Windows tools.
Microsoft makes Surface Laptop to deliver the perfect balance clamshell laptop with a sleek, lightweight, powerful, and great battery life. Surface Laptop 2, the second generation of Surface Laptop, features a new matte black color with 85 percent faster than the first generation.
Surface Laptop isn’t much different from most laptops on the market, so you can quickly learn how to use it as soon as you have it. However, if you can’t figure out how to take a screenshot on the Surface Laptop 2, you are in the right place. Surface Laptop 2 with Windows 10 installed, has many methods to take a screenshot. Here we will introduce you 5 ways to take screenshots on Surface Laptop 2.
- Method 1: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with the keyboard
- Method 2: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with Surface Pen
- Method 3: Screenshot on Surface Laptop with Windows Snipping Tool
- Method 4: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with Snip & Sketch Tool
- Method 5: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with Shortcut Keys
Method 1: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with the keyboard
Unlike other Surface devices, the Surface Laptop always has a keyboard attached, so you can follow the traditional ways to take screenshots by using the dedicated PrtSn (Print Screen) key available on the keyboard. To do so.
Option 1: Capturing all entire screens and store in the Windows Clipboard.
- Press PrtSn key to taking a screenshot.
- Paste to your preferred programs like Paint or Word.
Option 2: Capturing just the active window and store in the Windows Clipboard.
- Press Alt + PrtSn key to taking a screenshot of the active window.
- Paste to your preferred programs like Paint or Word.
Note If you are using OneDrive, you can also enable the option to automatically save all captured screenshots into the Onedrive. It will be saved under OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots folder.
Here is how can you enable the automatically save screenshots option:
- On taskbar, click OneDrive icon > More > Settings.
- Go to Auto Save and enable the Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive.
Method 2: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with Surface Pen
Surface Pen has been developed and getting much better functions in Windows 10. In Windows 10 October update, there is a new feature called Snip & Sketch. This function will capture the device’s screen and pop up with tools for drawing, cropping, and others.
You can take a screenshot by using the Surface Pen with this function. To activate the screen sketch function
- Double-click the eraser button on the top of your Surface Pen.
- Now you can edit, crop, and save the screenshot by click on the “Save as” button on top right of the screen.
Method 3: Screenshot on Surface Laptop with Windows Snipping Tool
In Windows, there is a built-in screenshot program called Snipping tool that has more controls and functionalities than the above methods. To open this tool:
- Open the Start menu and type “Snipping Tool”, or you can type into Cortana textbox directly.
- You can also open this tool by opening the Start menu and locate the Snipping Tool under Windows Accessories folder.
When you launched the tool, you can take a screenshot in 4 ways such as Full desktop, specific program windows, any size of rectangle shape, and any form you draw manually.
After you select an area you want to take a screenshot, it will display in a new window. You can draw or highlight on the screenshot before saving them. This tool allows you to save the screenshot as a JPEG, PNG, GIF, or HTML file as your desire.
Method 4: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with Snip & Sketch Tool
In recent Windows 10 Updates, Microsoft has introduced a new modern tool called Snip & Sketch that allows you to quickly annotate screenshots, photos and other images with your pen, touch, or mouse and save, paste or share with other apps. To take a screenshot with this tool:
- Open the Start menu and type “Snip & Sketch”, or you can type into Cortana textbox directly. You can also open this tool by opening the Start menu and locate the Snip & Sketch app.
- When the tool launched, click New, and click Snip now.
- Select an area you want to capture.
- The captured image will appear in a new Snip & Sketch window. At this point, you can annotate, draw, or highlight whatever you want on the screenshot.
- Click Save icon to save the screenshot to a file. Or click Copy icon to copy the screenshot to Windows clipboard so you can paste it elsewhere.
Method 5: Screenshot on Surface Laptop 2 with Shortcut Keys
There is another quicker way to activate the Snip & Sketch tool by using Windows 10 shortcut keys. To do that:
- On your keyboard, press and hold Windows key & Shift key and then press and release the S key.
- It will launch the Snip & Sketch tool with the screen clipping mode, so you can select and capture any area you want immediately.
- Now you can annotate, draw, or highlight the screenshot within the tool.
- Click Save icon to save the screenshot to a file. Or click Copy icon to copy the screenshot to Windows clipboard so you can paste it elsewhere
Those are the five ways you can take a screenshot on your Surface Laptop 2. What is your favorite one? Or do you have any other ways? Share with us in the comment section below.