The new firmware update enables support for the Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers. The update is listed as a “September 14 release” on the Surface Pro 4 Update History page.
- Changelog for September 14, 2017 Updates
- Getting the Updates via Windows Update
- Downloading the Updates from Microsoft
Changelog for September 14, 2017 Updates
Below is the complete changelog provided by Microsoft for the new updates. It includes the name and version listed in the Windows Updates and the name listed in Device Manager.
|Windows Update History Name||Device Manager Name|
|Surface – Biometric – 22.214.171.124||Surface Fingerprint Sensor – Biometric device 126.96.36.199 Enables support for Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.|
|Surface – HID – 188.8.131.52||Surface PTP Filter – HID 184.108.40.206 Enables support for the Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.|
|Surface – HID – 220.127.116.11||Surface Pro Type Cover Integration – HID 18.104.22.168 Enables support for the Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.|
|Surface – System – 22.214.171.124||Surface Smart Cover Backlight – System device 126.96.36.199 Enables support for the Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.|
Getting the Updates via Windows UpdateYou can get this new Firmware Update via Windows Updates, as we detailed here:
- Go to Start > Settings (Win + I)
- Go to Windows Update and click on the Check for updates button
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & security
- From the Windows Update tab, click Check for updates
Downloading the Updates from Microsoft
Alternatively, you can download the latest cumulative driver and firmware update for Surface Pro 4 from Microsoft Download Center via the following links.
- Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware
Surface Pro 4 Update History
- Improve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, improve battery performance, and integration between services.View
- Improve system stability and resolve potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft Security Advisory 180012 and 180013.View
- Enable support for the Surface Pro Type Cover and the Surface Pro Signature Type Covers.
- Enable the Power Slider feature to improve battery life, and improving the adaptive brightness feature, improve DirectX12 and graphics power performance, and more.View
- Improve battery life during sleep, disable touch when the cover is closed, improve stability, refine brightness settings, and more.View
- Resolve the screen brightness issue when devices come out of sleep, improve system stability, and adjust system Hibernation defaults.View
- Improve keyboard stability, and battery life during sleep, and disable touch when the cover is closed.View
- Improve the device's usability, battery life, stability, and performance when you change between power states and more.View
- Improve the stability of the keyboard when the device resumes from hibernation or connected standby mode, increase overall stability, and address issues in touch, pen ink, barrel button eraser scenarios, and more.View
- Improve system stability when the device resumes operation from sleep or hibernation and optimizes battery use in connected standby.View
- Improve touch stability, increase the stability of the fingerprint sensor when the keyboard is resuming from sleep, make adjustments to system thermal tuning, and optimizes battery utilization in connected standby and in low battery scenario.View
Let us know what you think!
We appreciate hearing your thoughts, questions, and ideas about “Surface Pro 4 gets new (September 14, 2017) firmware updates”.