Every Surface devices released with Windows 8 including Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 all have Surface Home Button on the device’s screen. This button allows you quickly access the Windows 8’s home screen. However, some users find out that the button becomes annoying while they are watching movies and playing games. Most artists complain about accidentally hitting the Surface Home button when they using the device as a tablet for drawing.
For older products like Surface RT, Surface 2, Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2, Microsoft has no official way to disable the Surface Home button. However, there is an easy tweak that you can do to disable the button.
Table of contents
When you press Surface home button, Surface will send a specific key code to the Operating System to open start screen or start menu for you. So if you don’t want Windows to do that you can use key mapping software like AutoHotkey to ignore that specific key code.
So to disable Surface Home button.
- Download AutoHotkey software from its website.
- Install AutoHotkey with default settings.
- Open Notepad via Win + R and type notepad.
- Type “SC15B::return”.
- Go to File > Save As
- Change “Save as type” to All Files and save the file as “DisableSurfaceHomeButton.ahk” on the Desktop.
- Now you can test the script by double click on the “DisablesurfaceHomeButton.ahk” on the Desktop. You will notice that start menu or start screen will not appear when you press the Surface Home button.
Make the script run automatically when you log in
To apply the script permanently you will need to add the script in the startup folder. To do so.
- Open the Startup folder by going to Win + R, and type “shell:startup“
- Copy the “DisableSurfaceHomeButton.ahk” file from Desktop to the startup folder.
- Now every time you log into your account it will execute automatically.
Step 1: Right-click on Start and open the Device Manager app
Step 2: On the device tree, expand System devices and locating the Surface Home Button Driver. After you found, right-click on Surface Home Button Driver and select Disable.
After you disabled the Surface Home Button Driver, you will notice that the Surface Home Button will not function anymore.
For Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3, Microsoft has provided the easiest way to disable the Windows button via the Surface app (previously known as Surface Hub) that you can download it from the Windows Store.