How to Install Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 on Surface RT/2 with Fix in 2017
Most Surface RT and Surface 2 owners can't install Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 on their devices recently. Here is how to get the Start menu on your devices.
It has been a while after many Surface RT and Surface 2 owners including me complaining about Windows Update and Windows Store problems after we reset our devices recently. Until now, there is still no official response with the solution from Microsoft yet.
Fortunately, there is a user that find out a direct download link to the Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 update package. I have tried to install it on my Surface RT, however, it ended up with searching for Windows update endlessly. I find out that many users also experience this problem like me. I decided to start from the scratch by resetting my Surface RT once again. And this time, I can do it and the Start menu is back to my Surface RT now.
Before you can install the Windows RT 8.1 Update 3, your Surface RT needs to have the Windows RT 8.1 Update first. Here how to check:
- Swipe from the right > Control Panel > Windows Update
- At the bottom left of the screen, click on Installed Updates
- Under the Microsoft Windows list, make sure you have “Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2919355)” in the list.
If you can’t find the update in the list, you need to keep update your tablet until you get the update.
After you have the Windows RT 8.1 Update, you will face with the endless checking for Windows update problem. While you have this problem, you can’t manually install another update. To fix this problem:
- Swipe from the right > Control Panel > Troubleshooting
- Under System and Security click Fix problems with Windows Update
- Click Next and click on Try troubleshooting as an administrator
- Now the tool will detect and fix problems for you, it will take about two minutes to complete.
Thank Gianpietromerighetti, a Microsoft community user, he has shared the update download link to the Microsoft community. Here you need to do:
- Download the Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 Standalone Package and keep it on the desktop
In order to prevent the endless checking for Windows update happen while you install the standalone package, you need to turn off the WiFi. Here what you need to do:
- Click WiFi icon in the taskbar, under the Wi-Fi section, turn the toggle Off
- Go to desktop, double-click on the Windows8.1-KB3097667-arm.msu
- If everything going well you will see the update confirmation dialog as below:
- Click Yes, and it will install the update for you. It may take several minutes. After that, it will ask you to restart your computer.
- Click Restart Now
- After you restart, right-click on Taskbar > Properties, now you can see the Start Menu option there
Even the start menu is back, the endless checking for Windows Update and Windows Store problems still persist. And this problem needs to be fixed by Microsoft. You can follow this problem in the Microsoft Community thread for future updates.
According to Barb Bowman, a Microsoft Community moderator, the Surface Support team is aware of the problems and working to push a fix for Surface RT/2 soon.
I’ve been in touch with Surface Supportability who have been working with the Windows Team on this. Just received an email which stated “we think we know root cause and that we are working to push a fix out quickly but don’t have an exact timeframe..”