Microsoft Surface Laptop shipped with a different edition of Windows 10 than other Surface lines. However, Microsoft allows Surface laptop users to upgrade their laptop to Windows 10 Pro for free until the end of 2017. The upgrade is a one-way switch. After you upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro, you can’t switch back. Moreover, by resetting your Surface Laptop via “Recovery” options will not turn it back to Windows 10 S as well.
In order to have Windows 10 S back on your Surface Laptop, you can download an official recovery image for your Surface Laptop from Microsoft Surface support website. You will also need to have at least 16 GB USB drive for creating a recovery drive to restore your Surface Laptop.
Prior downloading a right recovery image for your Surface tablet, you need to have a Microsoft account and the serial number of your Surface device.
- Visit the Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface website.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account
- Choose your current Surface device, If you have registered your Surface devices already.
- Otherwise, choose your Surface model and type your Surface device’s serial number in the Option 2. Then click Continue button.
- Click on Download button to download the recovery image.
After you have clicked the Download button, it will lead you to the Step 3 that will show you how to create a recovery drive for your Surface device.
To learn more about how to use the downloaded recovery image, make sure you read our step-by-step guide here.
- How to create USB recovery drive, loading recovery image files, and recover your Surface using the USB recovery drive.
Microsoft might update the recovery image in the future. Make sure you check back again when you need to reset your Surface device next time.