Microsoft Surface Pro 5 is a welcome upgrade to the Microsoft Surface Pro lineup with a completely redesigned from the inside out. It now delivers better battery life, performance, and display. It’s a great device for your work, study, content creation and entertainment.
It’s better to know more about this device before you make a purchase decision, and here are our comprehensive Microsoft Surface Pro 5 frequently asked questions that should clear up all your queries. We will try to cover all Surface Pro 5 question segments including display, battery, performance, software, and design.
- Surface Pro 5 Design, Configuration & Purchasing Q&As
- Surface Pro 5 Display & Screen Q&As
- Surface Pro 5 Battery & Power Q&As
- Surface Pro 5 Performance Q&As
- Surface Pro 5 Software & Compatibility Q&As
- Surface Pro 5 Comparison Q&As
- Surface Pro 5 Miscellaneous Q&As
1 Surface Pro 5 Design, Configuration & Purchasing Q&As
How much does a Surface Pro 5 cost?
There are three processor configurations of Surface Pro 5th Gen (2017):
What are the dimensions of the Surface Pro 5?
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 has dimensions of 11.50” x 7.9” x 0.33” (292 mm x 201 mm x 8.5 mm).
How much does the Surface Pro 5 weight?
Microsoft Surface Pro (2017) is weight at:
- Intel Core m3 1.69 lbs (768 g)
- Intel Core i5 1.70 lbs (770 g)
- Intel Core i7 1.73 lbs (784 g)
What ports are on the Surface Pro 5?
Here are all available ports on the Surface Pro 5:
- 1 x Full-size USB 3.0
- 1 x 3.5mm headphone jack
- 1 x Surface Connect (Compatible with Surface Dock)
- 1 x MicroSDXC card reader (up to 1TB)
- 1 x Surface Pro Type Cover port.
Does Surface Pro 5 have a camera?
Yes, there are two cameras on Surface Pro 5:
- 5.0MP front-facing camera with 1080p Skype HD video.
- 8.0MP rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p full HD video.
What processor is in the Surface Pro 5?
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 has two processor configurations:
- 7th Gen Intel® Core™ m3-7Y30
- Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 615.
- Base Frequency: 1.00 GHz
- Max Turbo Frequency: 2.60 GHz
- Cache: 4 MB
- 2 cores, 4 threads
- 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-7300U
- Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 620.
- Base Frequency: 2.60 GHz
- Max Turbo Frequency: 3.50 GHz
- Cache: 3 MB SmartCache
- 2 cores, 4 threads
- 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7660U
- Graphics: Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640.
- Base Frequency: 2.50 GHz
- Max Turbo Frequency: 4.00 GHz
- Cache: 4 MB
- 2 cores, 4 threads
Does Surface Pro 5 include pen?
No, Surface Pro 5 doesn’t include a Surface Pen out of the box. You will need to purchase separately or use old Surface Pens from previous models. The latest Surface Pen costs about $100 which supports 4,096 levels of pressure and tilts support.
Does the new Surface Pro come with a keyboard?
No, you will need to purchase the keyboard (Surface Pro Type Cover) separately. It costs about $100 for the black type cover and $130 for burgundy, platinum, and cobalt blue.
When was Surface Pro 5 release?
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 was:
- Announced and preordered on May 23, 2017
- Available on June 15, 2017.
Can you upgrade RAM on Surface Pro 5?
No, you can’t upgrade your Surface Pro 5 RAM as it was soldered directly onto the motherboard.
Is the Surface Pro 5 fanless?
Yes, and no. It depends on what’s Surface Pro 5 configuration you have:
- Surface Pro 5 with Intel Core m3 is fanless.
- Surface Pro 5 with Intel Core i5 is fanless.
- Surface Pro 5 with Intel Core i7 have a fan.
2 Surface Pro 5 Display & Screen Q&As
What size is Surface Pro 5’s display?
What is the resolution of Surface Pro 5?
Surface Pro 5 has a resolution of 2736 x 1824
and a pixel density of 267ppi
(pixels per Inch).
For more information, check our all Surface’s display comparison.
Does Surface Pro 5 need a screen protector?
Even Microsoft Surface Pro 5’s screen is made of Corning Gorilla Glass, it still prone to scratches. You’d better pick one up for your Surface Pro 5 to protect it from scratches.
Does a screen protector reduce the responsiveness of Surface Pro 5?
Yes it does, it much or less noticeable depending on what type and thickness of screen protector you put on it. For the best option, you should look for a slim tempered glass screen protector, as it’s smooth to the touch and reduce responsiveness issue. For more information, check out our Surface Pro screen protector buyer’s guide here.
What is the default Surface Pro 5 display scaling?
Micorosft Surface Pro 5 has a default display scaling of 200%.
What is the aspect ratio of Surface Pro 5?
Surface Pro 5 has a 3:2 aspect ratio.
What is the Oleophobic Coating on Surface Pro 5?
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 screen glass comes with a 10nm oleophobic coating. It is an oil repellent coating which protects the screen against fingerprint smudges and reducing screen glare.
3 Surface Pro 5 Battery & Power Q&As
How long does the Surface Pro 5 last?
Microsoft Surface Pro 5 last 13.5-hours of battery life for local video playback tested by Microsoft.
What is the battery capacity of Microsoft Surface Pro 5?
How do I charge my Surface Pro 5?
You can charge your Surface Pro 5 by using the OEM charger came with your Surface Pro 5 – Plug the charger to the power source and plug the Surface Connect connector to the charging port on the right side of Surface Pro 5. It’s a magnet and reversible connector and it’s an official and recommended charging method by Microsoft.
Can I charge Surface Pro 5 via USB?
No, USB port on Surface Pro 5 is used for data transfer only.
4 Surface Pro 5 Performance Q&As
Can Microsoft Surface Pro 5 run Photoshop?
Absolutely yes. Microsoft Surface Pro 5 equipped with the latest 7th Gen Intel® Core™ processors combined with Intel® HD Graphics, is powerful enough to handle most tasks available on Photoshop.
Can the Surface Pro 5 run games?
Yes, you can play many game titles at low or medium settings.
Can you code or programming on Surface Pro 5?
For writing code, Microsoft Surface Pro 5 is more than powerful enough to handle most code editor such as VS Code, Atom, or Notepad++. Combined with its great tactile keys, it’s a perfect mobile development machine you want to have. It’s also capable of compiling complex codes on Visual Studio or Android Studio as well.
Is Surface Pro 5 64-bit?
Yes, Microsoft Surface Pro 5 uses the 7th Gen Intel® Core™ processors which supports 64-bit instruction and it does come with a 64-bit version of Windows 10.
Is Surface Pro 5 good for drawing?
Yes, drawing is really smooth on most apps such as Adobe Photoshop, Windows Ink, Sketchable, Bamboo Ink, OneNote, and more. It supports the latest Surface Pen with 4,096 levels of pressure and tilts support.
Is Surface Pro 5 good for students?
Yes, it is. With Surface Pro 5, you can take advantages of all kind of note taking including typing, drawing, and touch. On top of that, you can also record the lecture and take a picture with an 8.0MP rear-facing autofocus camera. You will never get stuck on taking note of all kind of information you want.
Will Surface Pro 5 run Office?
Yes, Surface Pro 5 comes with a Microsoft Office 365 30-days trial. Office apps will run smoothly on Microsoft Surface Pro 5.
Will Surface Dock work with Surface Pro 5?
Yes, Microsoft Surface Pro 5 works smoothly with Surface Dock via Surface Connect port.
5 Surface Pro 5 Software & Compatibility Q&As
Does Surface Pro 5 run Windows 10?
Yes, it does. Surface Pro 5 shipped with a full version of Windows 10 Pro.
Can you download apps on Surface Pro 5?
Yes, you can. You can download safe and Microsoft verified apps and games from Microsoft Store. Since it’s a full version of Windows 10, you can also download and install any apps from any source you’d like to.
Does Surface Pro 5 run full Windows?
Yes, Surface Pro 5 comes with full Windows 10 Pro.
How do I reset my Surface Pro 5?
To reset your Surface Pro 5, plug in your Surface Pro 5 so you don’t run out of power during the refresh.
- Open Settings > Update & Security.
- Select Recovery.
- Under “Reset this PC“, select Get started.
- Choose either Keep my files or Remove everything.
- If you choose to Remove everything, you can choose to clean only the drive where Windows is installed and all drives.
- Next, you will have the option to just remove my files and remove files and clean the drive. The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
- Select Reset.
Surface Pro 5 will restart and the Surface logo appears during the reset process (this can take several minutes).
Is Microsoft Office free on Surface Pro 5?
No, the 12.3-inch Surface Pro 5 comes with a free Office 365 30-days trial, so you need to purchase a subscription to continue using the full Office suite when the trial period ended.
Does Surface Pro 5 need antivirus?
In most cases, you don’t need a third-party antivirus. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 5 has a built-in Windows Defender for virus and threat protection out of the box. It’s free and receives definition updates regularly via Windows Update.
6 Surface Pro 5 Comparison Q&As
What is the difference between Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 5?
Here are some major differences between Surface Pro 4 and Surface Pro 5:
- Released Date Surface Pro 5 released in 2017 while Surface Pro 4 released in 2015.
- Peformance Surface Pro 5 uses the latest 7-Gen Intel processors while Surface Pro 4 uses dual-core 6-Gen Intel processors.
- Battery Life Surface Pro 5 has 13.5 hours of battery life while Surface Pro 4 lasts 9 hours of battery life with the same video playback.
- Design Surface Pro 5 has a new air vein design and a more rounded edge compared to Surface Pro 4.
- Kickstand Surface Pro 5 has a 165-degree kickstand while Surface Pro 4 has a 150-degree kickstand.
- Weight Surface Pro 5 weight at between 768g to 784g while Surface Pro 4 weight at between 766g to 786g.
7 Surface Pro 5 Miscellaneous Q&As
Is Surface Pro 5 a tablet or a laptop?
It’s a 2-in-1 tablet or laptop. It can function as a tablet and also a laptop when connected to a Surface Pro Type Cover.
What is the company that makes Surface Pro 5?
Surface Pro 5 is a product among other Surface-branded products that are made by the Microsoft company.