Microsoft Surface Pro 2 equipped with next-generation Intel Core i5 processor provides greater performance with much better power efficiency. It also comes with a new dual-position kickstand provides better stability and supports to use in different locations.
It’s better to know more about this device before you make a purchase decision, and here are our comprehensive Microsoft Surface Pro 2 frequently asked questions that should clear up all your queries. We will try to cover all Surface Pro 2 question segments including display, battery, performance, software, and design.
- Surface Pro 2 Design, Configuration & Purchasing Q&As
- Surface Pro 2 Display & Screen Q&As
- Surface Pro 2 Battery & Power Q&As
- Surface Pro 2 Performance Q&As
- Surface Pro 2 Software & Compatibility Q&As
- Surface Pro 2 Comparison Q&As
- Surface Pro 2 Miscellaneous Q&As
1 Surface Pro 2 Design, Configuration & Purchasing Q&As
How much does a Surface Pro 2 cost?
There are four configurations of Surface Pro 2:
What are the dimensions of the Surface Pro 2?
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 has dimensions of 10.81” x 6.81” x 0.53” (275 mm x 173 mm x 13.46 mm).
How much does the Surface Pro 2 weight?
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is weight at 2lbs (~910g).
What ports are on the Surface Pro 2?
Here are all available ports on the Surface Pro 2:
- 1 x Full-size USB 3.0
- 1 x 3.5mm headphone jack
- 1 x Surface Charging Port
- 1 x MicroSDXC card reader (up to 64GB)
- 1 x Surface Pro Type Cover port.
Does Surface Pro 2 have a camera?
Yes, there are two cameras on Surface Pro 2:
- 720p HD rear-facing camera.
- 720p HD front-facing camera.
What processor is in the Surface Pro 2?
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 has two processor configurations:
- 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4200U
- Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400.
- Base Frequency: 1.50 GHz
- Max Turbo Frequency: 2.60 GHz
- Cache: 3 MB
- 2 cores, 4 threads
- 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4300U
- Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400.
- Base Frequency: 1.90 GHz
- Max Turbo Frequency: 2.90 GHz
- Cache: 3 MB
- 2 cores, 4 threads
Does Surface Pro 2 include pen?
Yes, Surface Pro 2 does come with a Surface Pen out of the box. It uses the old Surface Pen with Wacom technology which doesn’t have a battery.
Does the new Surface Pro 2 come with a keyboard?
No, you will need to purchase the keyboard (Surface Touch Cover 2 or Surface Type Cover 2) separately. The Surface Touch Cover 2 costs about $120 while the Surface Type Cover 2 costs about $130.
When was Surface Pro 2 release?
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 was:
- Announced on September 23, 2013.
- Preordered on September 24, 2013.
- Available on Oct October 22, 2013.
Can you upgrade RAM on Surface Pro 2?
No, you can’t upgrade your Surface Pro 2 RAM as it was soldered directly onto the motherboard.
Is the Surface Pro 2 fanless?
No, All Surface Pro 2 comes with a fan inside for active cooling.
2 Surface Pro 2 Display & Screen Q&As
What size is Surface Pro 2’s display?
Surface Pro 2 has a 10.6 inch ClearType Full HD Display.
What is the resolution of Surface Pro 2?
Surface Pro 2 has a resolution of 1920 x 1080
and a pixel density of 208ppi
(pixels per Inch).
For more information, check:
What is the default Surface Pro 2 display scaling?
Micorosft Surface Pro 2 has a default display scaling of 150%.
What is the aspect ratio of Surface Pro 2?
Surface Pro 2 has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
3 Surface Pro 2 Battery & Power Q&As
What is the battery capacity of Microsoft Surface Pro 2?
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 has a battery capacity of 42 Wh (5,676 mAh, 7.4V)
. For more information, check:
How do I charge my Surface Pro 2?
You can charge your Surface Pro 2 by using the OEM charger came with your Surface Pro 2 – Plug the charger to the power source and plug the Surface charging connector to the charging port on the right side of Surface Pro 2. It’s a magnet and reversible connector and it’s an official and recommended charging method by Microsoft.
Can I charge Surface Pro 2 via USB?
No, USB port on Surface Pro 2 is used for data transfer only.
4 Surface Pro 2 Performance Q&As
Can Microsoft Surface Pro 2 run Photoshop?
Absolutely yes. Microsoft Surface Pro 2 equipped with the 4th Gen Intel® Core™ processors combined with Intel® HD Graphics, is powerful enough to handle most tasks available on Photoshop.
Can the Surface Pro 2 run games?
Yes, you can play many game titles at low or medium settings.
Can you code or programming on Surface Pro 2?
For writing code, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is more than powerful enough to handle most code editor such as VS Code, Atom, or Notepad++. Combined with its great tactile keys, it’s a perfect mobile development machine you want to have. It’s also capable of compiling complex codes on Visual Studio or Android Studio as well.
Is Surface Pro 2 64-bit?
Yes, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 uses the 4th Gen Intel® Core™ processors which supports 64-bit instruction and it does come with a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 10 Pro.
Is Surface Pro 2 good for drawing?
Yes, drawing is really smooth on most apps such as Adobe Photoshop, Windows Ink, Sketchable, Bamboo Ink, OneNote, and more. It supports the latest Surface Pen with 1024 levels of pressure.
Is Surface Pro 2 good for students?
Yes, it is. Surface Pro 2 now has a much better battery life compared to its predecessor, so you can take advantages of all kind of note taking including typing, drawing, and touch throughout the day. You will never get stuck on taking note of all kind of information you want.
Will Surface Pro 2 run Office?
Yes, Surface Pro 2 comes with a Microsoft Office 365 30-days trial. Office apps will run smoothly on Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
Will the new Surface Dock work with Surface Pro 2?
No, The new Surface Dock required a new Surface Connect interface which doesn’t available on Surface Pro 2.
5 Surface Pro 2 Software & Compatibility Q&As
Does Surface Pro 2 run Windows 10?
Yes, it does. Surface Pro 2 shipped with a full version of Windows 8.1 Pro and can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free.
Can you download apps on Surface Pro 2?
Yes, you can. You can download safe and Microsoft verified apps and games from Microsoft Store. Since it’s a full version of Windows 8.1 or 10, you can also download and install any apps from any source you’d like to.
Does Surface Pro 2 run full Windows?
Yes, Surface Pro 2 comes with full Windows 8.1 Pro.
How do I reset my Surface Pro 2?
To reset your Surface Pro 2 on Windows 10, plug in your Surface Pro 2 so you don’t run out of power during the refresh.
- Open Settings > Update & Security.
- Select Recovery.
- Under “Reset this PC“, select Get started.
- Choose either Keep my files or Remove everything.
- If you choose to Remove everything, you can choose to clean only the drive where Windows is installed and all drives.
- Next, you will have the option to just remove my files and remove files and clean the drive. The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
- Select Reset.
Surface Pro 2 will restart and the Surface logo appears during the reset process (this can take several minutes).
Is Microsoft Office free on Surface Pro 2?
No, the 10.6-inch Surface Pro 2 comes with a free Office 365 30-days trial, and you need to purchase a subscription to continue using the full Office suite when the trial period ended.
Does Surface Pro 2 need antivirus?
In most cases, you don’t need a third-party antivirus. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 2 has a built-in Windows Defender for virus and threat protection out of the box. It’s free and receives definition updates regularly via Windows Update.
6 Surface Pro 2 Comparison Q&As
What is the difference between Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3?
Here are some major differences between Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3:
- Released Date Surface Pro 3 was announced on June 20, 2014, while Surface Pro 2 was announced on September 23, 2013.
- Design Surface Pro 3 is thinner, lighter, new the multi-position Kickstand, new silver color, and more.
- Display Surface Pro 3 has a 12-inches ClearType display (2160 x 1440) while Surface Pro 2 has a 10.6-inches ClearType Full HD Display (1920 x 1080).
- Surface Pen Surface Pro 3 uses the Surface Pen technology powered by N-trig which uses AAAA battery to offer additional activation functions.
7 Surface Pro 2 Miscellaneous Q&As
Is Surface Pro 2 a tablet or a laptop?
It’s a 2-in-1 tablet or laptop. It can function as a tablet and also a laptop when connected to a Surface Pro Type Cover.
What is the company that makes Surface Pro 2?
Surface Pro 2 is a product among other Surface-branded products that are made by the Microsoft company.
Can I use older Surface Pro pens on Surface Pro 2?
Yes, you can. The new Surface Pro 2 uses the same Surface Pen as original Surface Pro.